Chiropractic Health & Wellness Blog
Tips to Prevent Injury while Shoveling
The months ahead bring lots of snow for us and with it comes frequent snow removal. The American Chiropractic Association suggests the following tips to help you avoid muscle strain and other injuries when shoveling:
- Do some stretching before you grab the shovel.
- Use a lightweight, ergonomically-designed shovel.
- If possible, push the snow straight ahead. Don't try to throw it; walk it to the snow bank. Avoid sudden twisting and turning motions.
- Bend your knees to lift when shoveling. Let the muscles of your legs and arms do the work, not your back.
- Take frequent breaks – a fatigued body asks for injury.
- Stop immediately and seek medical attention if you feel faint, dizzy or have chest pain.